Kobe Journal of Medical Sciences, 2000


Iteoman BENLI, Mahmut KIS, Serdar AKALIN, Mehnlet CITAK, Serhan KANEVETCI, and Evrim DUMAN

1st Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Ankara Social Security Hospital, Mithatpasa Cad, 59/2, Kizilay, Ankara / TURKEY

Kobe J. Med. Sci. 46, 39-68, April 2000

AB: Classic procedure in the treatment of vertebral tuberculosis is drainage of the abscess, curettage of the devitalized vertebra and application of antituberculous chemotherapy regimen. Posterior instrumentation results are encouraging in the prevention or treatment of late kyphosis ; however a second stage operation is needed. Recently, posterolateral or transpedicular drainage without anterior drainage or posterior instrumentation following anterior drainage in the same session is preferred to avoid kyphotic deformity. Seventy six patients with spinal tuberculosis were operated in the 1st Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Ankara Social Security Hospital, between January 1987 and January 1997. There were four children in our series. Average follow-up period was 36.1} 14.5 months and the average age at the time of operation was 40.8}15.2 years. This study reports the surgical results of 45patients with Pott's disease who had anterior radical debridement with anterior instrumentation [14 patients with Z-plate and 31 patients with Cortal-Dubousset-Hopf(CDH system)].The results are compared with those of 8 patients who had posterolateral drainage and posterior fusion, 12 patients who had only anterior drainage strut grafting and, 11 patients who had posterior instrumentation following anterior radical debridement in the same session in terms of fusion rates, correction of kyphotic deformity, recurrence rate and clinical results. All patients had one year consecutive triple drug therapy. Preoperative 23.20}12.50.  Local kyphosis angle was lowered to 6.1}6.9 with a correction rate of 77.4}22.3% . When the other three groups which had been instrumented were compared, the correction rates in the local kyphosis angle values were not statistically different and the variation in loss of correction at the last follow-up was also statistically insignificant. The sagittal contour of the involved vertebra's region did not change in the uninstrumented group, while it did so in instrumented groups which had normal range values postoperatively. Overall, 27 patients had neurologic deficits preoperatively. Twenty of these (74.1%) had complete, and 5 ( 18.5%) had partial recovery with a combined 92.6% neurologic improvement. All the patients had a solid fusion mass at the last controls. Reactivation was not seen. Additionally, contrary to the common belief, anterior instrumentat.ion which anterior autologous strut grafting following anterior radical debridement can be a good treatment option with low rate.

Published Bimonthly by Kobe University School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan